Sunday, January 25, 2015

Kale Chips



Frankly I wasn't expecting too much. I've tried kale chips out of a packet and they're either exceeding dull or exceeding salty. I haven't been on the kale chips bandwagon. Then I made my own. Honesty they're fabulous! The only thing that is slightly time consuming is that you must make sure the kale is really, really dry before you start, otherwise you'll end up with soggy chips - yuck, we're going for super duper crispy chips - yum.

Kale, as we all know by now is a superfood of epic proportions, there's almost nothing it lacks. Rich in vitamins K, A, C and B6 it's also a great source of minerals such as copper, calcium, sodium, potassium, iron, manganese and phosphorus.

This is my go too snack at the moment, it totally beats popcorn while lounging in front of the telly on a Sunday night watching Downton Abbey.

As far as the spices are concerned you should go with what you love. I have a nice little bottle of mixed spices consisting of turmeric, cumin and za'atar, I sprinkled it over the kale before it cooked and it was perfect. Here are some other suggestions, try them by themselves or in a combination:

ground cumin,
ground coriander,
za'atar
sumac
turmeric
oregano
sesame seeds
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper


Kale Chips

1 bunch of curly leaf kale
A tablespoon or so of olive oil

Flavorings: see above or the following:

sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon za'atar
1/4 teaspoon cumin

Method:

Heat the oven to 275 F

1. Wash and thoroughly dry the kale. Cut the tough stem out of the leaves. Tear or cut the leaves into bite size pieces. Place in a large bowl.

2. Drizzle a scant tablespoon of olive oil over the kale and massage so each leaf is lightly coated.

3. Sprinkle over the flavoring you wish to use, combine well so the spices are evenly distributed.

4. Place the kale on a baking sheet and bake for approximately 10 minutes. Start checking after 8 minutes, turning the leaves to allow them to full crisp up. They are ready when they're really nice and crispy, some may be ready before others, if so remove them and return the others to the oven for another few minutes.  Eat immediately or allow to cool, then store in an airtight container.

For other scrumptious kale recipes click here.



Before you go, take a look at this gorgeous rose, it's been sitting on my kitchen counter and I just had to share it with you, isn't it beautiful...



3 comments:

  1. These are fantastic! Kale is gaining popularity in Greece too but it is not yet easy to find it!
    Dear Mary, I just made the connection with your previous blog and now I have figured out that you are the British mum! I am so glad for your new green blog! It rocks!

    Many kisses from your old Greek friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never eaten a kale chip, whether homemade or from a bag, but I have heard my niece rave about them. Thanks for the great tip about making sure they are dry.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't been too impressed with store-bought kale chips, but I'd love to give homemade a try. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Join the fun - I'd love to hear from you :)