Monday, January 5, 2015

Kale Salad



Kale is a wonderful winter leafy green. I always find the concept of a "salad" a little tricky in the dead of a New York winter. Kale makes it sooooo much easier. It's sturdy, full of flavor and with the addition of golden peppers, toasted cashews and dried cherries it stands up to a nasty snow storm. The surprising secret to making a successful kale salad is "massage". It's essential to massage the leaves so the tough fibers break down and it becomes tender and flavorful. It may look like a lot of "green" to begin with but it wilts during the massage. Kale as we know is the king of greens, in fact it's known as the world's healthiest leafy green.  Just take a look at what the Huffington Post had to say about it. Eat kale and you'll feel and look better inside and out, raw of course is better than ever.


Kale Salad.

1 bunch of great looking kale
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
1 small yellow pepper, diced
1/3 cup dried cherries
1/3 cup toasted cashews
1 tablespoon Vegenaise

Method:

1. Cut the stem out of the middle of the kale leaves. Wash the leaves thoroughly and dry.

2. Take 2-3 leaves at a time,  roll up tightly like a cigar and slice very thinly, place in a large serving bowl.


3. Pour the olive oil and lemon juice over the kale and massage for 2-3 minutes. The kale will become bright green and break down.

4. Add the dried cherries, yellow pepper, toasted cashews and the vegenaise. Toss well and serve. YUM.

4 comments:

  1. Yum! Loving the idea of the dried cherries. Just about the only way I can stomach kale is either massaged or as kale chips, and I like kale salads any time of year! I think the massaging to break down the cell walls of the leaves will also help release all those super nutrients. Hope you guys had a wonderful Christmas, and have a great 2015 :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum indeed. I am just begging to jump on the kale bandwagon and it was a salad that got me there. I never thought about it, but you're right. Kale is the perfect winter salad green.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a good kale salad, even in cold NYC winters!! They somehow seem heartier than regular salads. Yum to this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's such an interesting tip, to massage the kale. Lately I have been getting baby kale which is a lot more tender, but the next time I pick up a bunch of regular kale I will try massaging it for my salad!

    ReplyDelete

Join the fun - I'd love to hear from you :)