This is a really lovely way to enjoy peppers, it's a substantial dish with lots of flavors. You could of course use any grain you want, millet or rice would be nice but I prefer quinoa as it delivers such a protein punch. You could add some mushrooms if you liked and dried fruit too, maybe some raisins or cherries. This is a lovely recipe as it is but it's also a good one to play around with.
1 cup quinoa (cooked)
4 peppers (red or yellow are nice)
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 sticks celery, washed and choppedd
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 heaped teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 zucchini, washed and diced
1/4 cup parsley, roughly chopped
1 cup frozen corn
1/4 cup pine nuts
1/2 cup white wine
1 box baby spinach
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
Heat the oven to 400F.
1. Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan, add the onion and cook on a medium to low heat until caramelized, be patient this can take up to 15 minutes. It's worth the wait for a the delicious sweet golden flavor it produces.
2. Add the garlic and celery, saute for another few minutes, add the cumin, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
3. Add the zucchini, parsley and frozen corn, spinach and pine nuts, cook for another 2 minutes or so, then pour in the white, let it bubble away for 2 minutes, take a good sniff - it smells wonderful. Remove from heat. Add the quinoa and stir to combine. Add a little more salt and pepper if you think it needs it.
4. Cut the peppers in half length ways, take out the membranes and seeds. Fill the peppers with the quinoa mixture. Place in an oven proof dish, pour 3/4 inch of water in the pan so the peppers are sitting in a water bath.
5. Drizzle the tops of the peppers with olive oil, sprinkle over the Parmesan cheese and place in the oven for approximately 30-40 minutes until the tops are golden and the peppers tender.
6. If the tops begin to brown too quickly, loosely place a sheet of aluminum foil over the top.
7. Allow to cool for 5 minutes when removed from the oven then serve. These keep very well in the fridge and will be wonderful the next day.