Thursday, February 26, 2015

Lentil, Cannellini Bean and Vegetable Stew

Yesterday the temperature in my car registered 34 F and I felt like celebrating - it was the first time it has crept above freezing in weeks. We are still very much in need of warming soups and stews and this was a deeply nourishing lunch today. I've cooked up a good amount so it can be enjoyed tonight by some of the girls or lunch tomorrow for me - a little planning goes a long way! This is a vegan recipe and it packs a hefty protein punch with the lentils and beans. I love adding warming spices such as cumin, za'tar and turmeric, plus they make the house smell amazing! I did find some baby pea shoots at the local market and I couldn't resist sprinkling some over the top - to tempt Spring to come our way very soon ~ I hope you enjoy this lovely stew as much as I did.

Lentil Cannellini Bean and Vegetable Stew.


Ingredients:

Olive oil
1 onion, peeled and chopped
2-3 sticks celery, finely chopped
2-3 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
Salt and pepper
1 large sprig of fresh rosemary
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon za a'tar
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 cup le puy lentils
1, 14 oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
16 oz water, add more if the stew becomes too thick
2 cubes of best quality vegetable stock cubes
Zest and juice of 1/2 a lemon

Method:

1. In a large pot or Dutch oven heat the olive oil, add the onion and saute on a low heat for about 8-10 minutes until almost caramelized. Add the celery, rosemary sprig, carrot and garlic, saute for a further 2  minutes.

2. Add the salt, pepper, cumin, za a'tar, turmeric, tomato paste, cannellini beans and lentils. Stir well to combine. Add the water and vegetable stock cubes, bring to the boil then turn down to a simmer, partially cover and allow to cook until the lentils and vegetables are cooked through but not mushy.

3. Remove from heat and add the lemon zest and juice. Stir, serve and enjoy!


3 comments:

  1. Another delicious recipe, Mary. I love recipes with lentils and eat them at least once a week! Thank you for visiting my place recently. So glad we've found each other again!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The colors in your soup are just amazing together and I love the sprinkle of little greens on top. Bring on spring.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete

Join the fun - I'd love to hear from you :)