Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Baba Ghanoush



This is my new favorite snack. There's something about the smokey eggplant pared with the fresh mint that is still comforting for winter but gives a happy and enthusiastic nod towards Spring. It feels Springlike today - I was actually able to sit on my front steps for 10 minutes out of the wind (huddling between two snowbanks!) in the sun!!! it felt beyond fantastic. Back to the Baba Ghanoush, this is a  "happy" snack, the flavors are so lovely and it's so good for you. I ate a bowl of this for lunch with a mountain of my favorite crackers, aptly named "Mary's Gone Crackers" along with all the veggies I could find in my fridge.. happy....

Minted Baba Ghanoush.
Ingredients:
2 large eggplants
2 cloves garlic
Juice and zest of a lemon
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon tahini paste
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons cumin
2 tablespoons fresh mint
2 tablespoons fresh parsley

Method:

1.   Preheat oven to 400°F. Poke the eggplants in several places with a fork. Cut the eggplants in half lengthwise and brush the cut sides lightly with olive oil. Place on a lined baking sheet, cut side down, and roast until very tender, about 35-40 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
Scrape the flesh of the eggplant into a bowl and mash a little with a fork. Add all the other ingredients except the mint and parsley. Allow to cool then add the herbs. Pour into a bowl and serve

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful and refreshing - what more could you ask for.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well this recipe sounds really tempting and the name is wonderful! I absolutely love aubergines (which you call eggplant!) I have all the ingredients in except for the mint, so it looks as though this recipe is going to happen in my kitchen! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this too- I make it with smoked paprika as well, for extra flavour. Must try it with mint- never added that before. Thank for this :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this..I have a new little Baba Ghanoush dish since November and have never used it..

    ReplyDelete

Join the fun - I'd love to hear from you :)