Monday, April 27, 2015

Lentil and Eggplant Bolognese.



This is my new favorite bolognese recipe. The combination of le pry lentils, chunky eggplant and spices is a delight and you won't miss the meat I promise. It's hearty and nourishing, just perfect to warm us through as the temperatures have taken a dip again.You could serve this with pasta, zucchini pasta, some crusty bread or on it's own topped with avocado (my favorite). Either way I really don't think you'll be disappointed. This is a great recipe to feed a crowd, it gets even better the next day (I've noticed this about eggplant haven't you?) so make ahead of time and invite your friends over:)


Lentil and Eggplant Bolognese.

Ingredients:

Olive oil
2 medium onions, finely chopped
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons cumin
2 sticks celery, finely chopped
6 cloves garlic, crushed
2 medium eggplants, cut into 1/4 inch chunks
1 cup le pry lentils, rinsed
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
1, 28oz can crushed tomatoes
1 tablespoon maple syrup
Water added if necessary.

Method:

1. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan, add the onion and saute on a low heat for about 10-12 minutes until just turning golden. You may need to sprinkle over some salt to prevent the onions from burning.

2. Add the cumin, celery and garlic and saute for a further 2-3 minutes. Add the eggplant, lentils, worcestershire sauce, crushed tomatoes and maple syrup. Bring to the boil, turn down to a simmer, partially cover the pot and allow to simmer away until the lentils are just cooked through - about and 1 1/2 hours. Check periodically to see if the mixture is too thick, if so add some water, stir thoroughly to combine.

3. Serve with chopped parsley or cilantro and enjoy:)


6 comments:

  1. Wow this sounds fantastic! Wherever did you come up with this recipe. I will definitely try this. Not only does it sound tasty but healthy too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds very delicious, Mary! I love recipes with lentils and eggplant is one of my favourite vegetables!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to mention that I always use Le Puy green lentils as well. They are very popular over here and come from Le Puy in France, from the commune of Le Puy-en-Velay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks and sounds amazing! I find cooked chickpea or mung dal or even whole green mung beans are great for "mince" too. No need for processed soya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had some lentil bolognese before and totally loved it. Next time I am going to add some eggplants in it because yours looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delectably Green is taking a break. I hope it is a wonderful one and that all is well with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete

Join the fun - I'd love to hear from you :)